Meaningful change and positive impact. These pursuits have always been key to the Skender way. We strive to live these ideals by building a legacy of integrity, making lasting contributions and forging valued relationships. We recognize our influence on the world around us, and we focus our compassion on four pillars of social responsibility: our people, our communities, our business and our environment.
Responsibility for our people.
Our progressive policies and programs foster a people-centric workplace. This human approach to organizational health has won us more than two dozen Best Place to Work awards, and continues to cement our dedication to:
- Respect for people
- Diversity, equity and inclusion
- Building high-performing teams
- A clear mission and purpose to transform the construction experience
- Work-life balance
- Competitive and total compensation
- Health, wellness and safety
- Employee engagement
- Career development to enable potential
- Being leadership-owned
Responsibility for our communities.
To be a good corporate citizen and neighbor, we invest in the communities we serve. We create equitable opportunities and support education, wellness and affordable housing. Our community-oriented initiatives include:
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Civic engagement, participation and board representation
- In-kind giving, including supplies, services, time and expertise
- Championing M/WBE firms
- Community hiring and job creation
- Local and regional economic impact
- Trade apprenticeships and mentoring
- Employee matching gifts
- Construction career scholarship program
Responsibility for our business and clients.
Business efficiency and excellent client relations are our cornerstones, rooted in sound governance, integrity, Lean philosophy and our core values. We are an honest, lawful company, committed to high-performing teams and a value-optimized process. As such, we prioritize:
- Ethics, integrity and transparency
- Safety, productivity and quality
- Financial stability
- Core values that embody being proactive, a true partner and providing a refreshing team approach
- Lean, efficient processes
- Productivity enabled by technology
- Investing back in our business and continued innovation
Responsibility for our environment.
To us, building green isn’t just a certification. It’s a genuine, deeply felt commitment that we make to every project and every aspect of our business. We strive to minimize the environmental impact of our construction work and finished products. With future generations in mind, we use sustainable products, services and processes, supporting priorities such as:
- Minimizing waste with our Lean approach
- Reducing dust, noise and air pollution
- Conserving energy
- Using sustainable resources and materials
- Modeling and analyzing energy use
- Using local trades, suppliers, materials and fabricators
matters to us.
Our history has been shaped by progressive philanthropy, a focus on people and dynamic community-building initiatives. These actions are about more than ticking off corporate checkboxes. They’re born of an unwavering sense of responsibility. And driven by a fervent dedication to building real change.