Senior Preconstruction Manager
Our employees are the reason for our success. Our culture of connectedness, high performing teams and the entire employee experience identifies Skender as a best place to work. We are committed to the investment of our talent through continuous learning and ongoing coaching without micromanaging. Our focus has always been our people and we continually develop ways to further their advancement and knowledge of our industry. We promote a safe workplace where employees can collaborate, accomplish company goals, and achieve team success without jeopardizing their individuality. We celebrate our colleague's whole selves and unique experiences because they elevate our sense of community, innovation and service.
At Skender, we balance our focus between the big picture and individual details to ensure we always achieve high-quality results. We believe that genuine engagement and collaboration at an early stage creates the most reliable path to exceeding expectations.
Skender is currently seeking a Senior Preconstruction Manager to join our talented group of employees.
A Senior Preconstruction Manager at Skender is responsible for leading the preconstruction program and utilizing a client facing approach that is focused on coordination and preparation of projects from conceptual design through completed construction documents, that results in award of profitable business for the company.
- Manage and lead corporate, business development, and operations management to determine type of projects, strategies and techniques to pursue, that will effectively capture cost parameters of the scopes as engineering evolves
- Develop, review, and modify all scope considerations with the design and owner teams, as deemed appropriate and feasible, from inception of preconstruction services through completion
- Maintains full authority and responsibility for estimate and bid packages, including scopes and pricing prior to finalization of contract
- Participate in presentation preparation and interviews to potential clients with significant responsibilities for the project capture process
- Provide additional technical assistance as required to help clients with site procurement and development, project financing, permitting and any other required activities to move a job closer to the build phase
- Collaborate with client in choosing best value materials, means, and methods that will yield the optimal mix of customer product and satisfaction; factoring in the best construction processes deliverable by the company
- Coach and guide all team members to ensure the completion of all estimates in a timely manner
- Delegate adequate authority to preconstruction team to carry out their daily responsibilities
- Consistently strive to create a motivational environment for all employees where they are always encouraged and empowered to deliver optimal performance
- Minimum 8 years of applicable estimating, design management and/or field management experience
- 4-year Bachelor's degree in construction management, engineering or related field
- Advanced management or technical training preferred
- Strong understanding of construction design documentation, permitting and governmental agency approvals, contractor bidding and selection, and contract negotiation
- Demonstrated experience in Procore, Microsoft Office Suites, MS Project/Primavera P6, and/or other industry standard project management applications
- Thorough knowledge of corporate objectives impacting estimating, estimating strategies/techniques and construction contracts required
- Maintain a practical knowledge of construction costs, labor productivity, and market conditions through vendor contracts, trade journals, and any other source available
- Strong understanding of integrated project management systems including SkenderLean®, Supply Chain Management, Building Information Modeling (BIM) and new and evolving construction technologies
- Expertise with Integrated Project Delivery approach and Target Value Design methods as they relate to conceptual estimating
Our nurturing atmosphere is the catalyst for providing our employees with the best health insurance options and we continually make this a top priority. Our teams are our greatest assets, and our commitment to our people has always run deep. Some of the best in class benefits we provide include:
- Skender pays for 100% of the premium for health insurance for employees (medical, dental & vision)
- Annual deposit into health savings account
- Retirement with 100% match up to 5% of gross earnings
- Wellness incentives
- Paid time off
- Parental leave for mothers and fathers
- Free employee assistance program services
- Free short- & long-term disability insurance
- Community involvement
At Skender, our values guide our behavior and shape our actions. Our promise is an authentic commitment to equality, opportunity, and a respectful work environment for all. We embrace individuality and listen to diverse voices. We believe that hiring those with different experiences and backgrounds, ultimately enhances our expertise as an organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This statement applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Why Work for Skender?
The Skender Approach
It should be smooth and simple. It should be efficiently managed to meet time and cost goals. But most importantly, it should be an exciting collaboration.
Our team of more than 300 industry experts has been delivering on these promises for more than 60 years—combining invaluable experience with a commitment to industry advancements. Through our Lean approach, comprehensive project management and innovative spirit, we have what it takes to establish true partnerships with our clients. Across every level of our company, we know what it means to roll up our sleeves and get things done.
Skender has been consistently recognized for its growth, strategic business strategy and outstanding commitment to employees. Recent accolades include:
- Best Places to Work | Crain's Chicago Business
- Top Contractors in America | Engineering News-Record
- Top Builders in the U.S. | Building Design + Construction
- General Contractor of the Year | Coalition for United Community Action
- Interior Contractor of the Year | Greater Chicago Food Depository
- Fast Fifty Company | Crain’s Chicago Business
- Largest Privately Held Company | Crain’s Chicago Business
- 101 Best & Brightest Companies to Work for | National Association for Business Resources
- Best Places to Work in Illinois | Daily Herald Business Ledger