Assistant Project Manager
Our employees are the reason for our success. Our culture of connectedness, high performing teams and the entire employee experience identifies Skender as a best place to work. We are committed to the investment of our talent through continuous learning and ongoing coaching without micromanaging. Our focus has always been our people and we continually develop ways to further their advancement and knowledge of our industry. We promote a safe workplace where employees can collaborate, accomplish company goals, and achieve team success without jeopardizing their individuality. We celebrate our colleague's whole selves and unique experiences because they elevate our sense of community, innovation and service.
At Skender, we balance our focus between the big picture and individual details to ensure we always achieve high-quality results. We believe that genuine engagement and collaboration at an early stage creates the most reliable path to exceeding expectations.
Skender is currently seeking a Assistant Project Manager to join our talented group of employees.
A Assistant Project Manager at Skender is responsible for supporting the project team in an effort to secure a successful project completion. An ideal candidate will be able to maintain progress schedules, change order requests, and project documents. Responsibilities also include field related functions to assist the superintendent as assigned by the project manager.
- Prepare and maintain project schedules, progress payments, and change orders
- Review contract documents for submittal requirements
- Update and maintain the project master schedule
- Prepare, maintain, and distribute various document control entities, including: submittals, RFIs, drawings/specifications, meeting minutes, punchlist/closeout,
and issue logs
- Negotiate various bid packages as direct by the Project Manager
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or Civil Engineering is preferred and a minimum of four (4) years’ experience in a related construction field
- Working knowledge of construction equipment and techniques, drawing, and specifications, building materials and required standards applicable to discipline
- Candidates must have solid problem-solving skills, excellent people skills, and strong written and oral communication
- Experience utilizing Lean philosophies and those who embody an entrepreneurial spirit are advantages for this role
Our nurturing atmosphere is the catalyst for providing our employees with the best health insurance options and we continually make this a top priority. Our teams are our greatest assets, and our commitment to our people has always run deep. Some of the best in class benefits we provide include:
- Skender pays 100% of the premium for health insurance (medical, dental, & vision)
- Annual deposit into health savings account
- Retirement with 100% match up to 5% of gross earnings
- Wellness incentives
- Paid time off
- Parental leave for mothers and fathers
- Free employee assistance program services
- Free short- & long-term disability insurance
- Community involvement
At Skender, our values guide our behavior and shape our actions. Our promise is an authentic commitment to equality, opportunity, and a respectful work environment for all. We embrace individuality and listen to diverse voices. We believe that hiring those with different experiences and backgrounds, ultimately enhances our expertise as an organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This statement applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Why Work for Skender?
The Skender Approach
It should be smooth and simple. It should be efficiently managed to meet time and cost goals. But most importantly, it should be an exciting collaboration.
Our team of more than 200 industry experts has been delivering on these promises for more than 60 years—combining invaluable experience with a commitment to industry advancements. Through our Lean approach, comprehensive project management and innovative spirit, we have what it takes to establish true partnerships with our clients. Across every level of our company, we know what it means to roll up our sleeves and get things done.
Skender has been consistently recognized for its growth, strategic business strategy and outstanding commitment to employees. Recent accolades include:
• Best Places to Work | Crain's Chicago Business
• Top Contractors in America | Engineering News-Record
• Top Builders in the U.S. | Building Design + Construction
• General Contractor of the Year | Coalition for United Community Action
• Interior Contractor of the Year | Greater Chicago Food Depository
• Fast Fifty Company | Crain’s Chicago Business
• Largest Privately Held Company | Crain’s Chicago Business
• 101 Best & Brightest Companies to Work for | National Association for Business Resources
• Best Places to Work in Illinois | Daily Herald Business Ledger